SMU Red Cross Youth Chapter
SMU Red Cross is a community service club under SICS dedicated to relieving human suffering, protecting human lives and dignity and responding to emergencies. Our parent organization Singapore Red Cross (SRC) has a rich history of serving the vulnerable in both local and international communities.
At SMU Red Cross, we organize a variety of fun and interactive activities to make an impact towards the society. As a member of SMU Red Cross, you will be affiliated with the largest humanitarian network with over 17 million volunteers in 190 countries. Join us if you want a meaningful experience that makes a positive impact on society.
- Project AC & Project DC We place great focus on first aid and its awareness through projects such as AC and DC, where we teach the elderly and children the importance of life-saving skills to prepare them for emergencies. However, first aid is not all we focus on.
- Biannual Blood Donation We also raise awareness of blood donation through our biannual blood drives. In the first semester of 2022, we have managed to collect 90 blood bags!
- Bandaging Workshop Our Bandaging Workshop was held to raise awareness on the importance of life-saving skills and at the same time serve to educate students on essential bandaging techniques. A mini hands-on competition was also held to put participants' new bandaging skills to the test!Meals on Wheels & Project R.I.C.E
Reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Bloodmobile Organiser (BMO) Merit Award (2019) Awarded to blood drive organisers for their efforts as part of the National Blood Programme which achieved a nationwide collection of 116,789 blood bags in 2019 whereby SMU RC collected 325 units of blood
- SMU University Student Life Award (Special Interest & Adventure) - Bronze (2021)
- SICS Excellence Club Award (2021)
- Bronze in SMU Excellence in Student Life Award, under the category of Special Interest & Adventure This is awarded in recognition of Red Cross's participation and excellence in co-curricular activities.
OUR PEOPLE IN ACTION
DO I NEED TO AUDITION TO GET INTO THE CLUB?
NO, we welcome all students who are interested in joining the Red Cross community! However, if you would like to join our Exco, there would be a selection process.
“One decision I do not regret making was signing up for Red Cross. It was where I forged my first friendship in SMU. My campmates and I also continued to keep in contact by volunteering for Project AC together and having meetups after volunteering sessions!”
- Rebecca Tan, Honorary General Secretary & Project AC 80-hour Bundle Participant 2019/20, School of Social Sciences, Year 3
“Red Cross has presented me with many opportunities to engage in events, make friends, learn and network. An example would be facilitating Red cross camp 2019 when I had a great time introducing red cross to the freshies and forged many friendships that last even till today.”
- Martin Layar, Project AC 80-hour Bundle Participant 2018/19 & SICS Red Cross Camp Facilitator 2019, Lee Kong Chian School of Business, Year 4
"One decision I do not regret making was signing up for Red Cross. It was where I forged my first friendship in SMU. My campmates and I also continued to keep in contact by volunteering for Project AC together and having meetups after volunteering sessions!" Rebecca Tan SOSS: Year 2
"Red Cross has presented me with many opportunities to engage in events, make friends, learn and network. An example would be facilitating Red Cross Camp 2019 when I had a great time introducing red cross to the freshies and forged many friendships that last even till today." Martin Layar LKCSB: Year 3
You are able to clear 64 CSP hours* with us through signing up as a volunteer for Project AC or Project DC! As a volunteer for Project AC or DC, you would be participating in Red Cross Camp, aiding during IBD and attending sessions with the beneficiaries of the project. Sign ups are currently open, simply head over to our instagram bio link to sign up!
*Do note that this is subjective to change but the estimated minimum hours volunteers would receive is 48 hours.
Of course, all students are welcome to join us as a general member by volunteering for any of our ad-hoc projects such as our bandaging workshops. Stay tuned to our social media for more updates!
If you have signed up as a volunteer for our projects, there might be weekly commitments which will offer some flexibility and be disclosed well ahead of time. For general members who are NOT part of any package, there is no weekly commitment to adhere to.
Unfortunately, we do not provide complimentary first aid training and certification to general members. However, you can choose to sign up for our 40-hr First Aid Package, where participants may receive complimentary first aid training and certification (subject to terms and conditions).
No, we do not collect any membership fees as we are a Community Service Club. Your membership will last for a year, starting from the date of your first volunteering session with us. As long as you participate in Red Cross events regularly, your membership will be renewed annually.